Skip to main content

Review: Starling's Weave by L.E. Sterling

  About the Book: Truth is more dangerous than fiction…in this exhilarating upper YA fantasy that will capture fans of  Shadow and Bone  and  Dark Water Daughter In ancient times, the Elder Wrights breathed their magic into the fabric of the seven seas. Now what was once an ocean of plenty is slowly becoming a sea of death, and the Talin—a race of hidden mages—are beginning to starve. And for the first time ever, one of their own has no magic. Ostracized by her own people, Nieve is certain that the old stories hide a missing piece of the puzzle. It’s just a matter of unlocking the secret. But when a stranger comes sailing into their harbor, Nieve’s world is suddenly blown wide open. Now she’s sailing on the seven seas—with a too-charming, swashbuckling pirate, a group of strange misfits, and a woman who claims to be one of the Elder Wrights. It’s like Nieve is living one of the stories she’s always loved…only now, she’s weaving a legend of her own. Except that the ol...

A Husband for Margaret (Nebraska Historicals) by Ruth Ann Nordin

Description
When Margaret Williams posted an ad for a husband, she expected Paul Connealy to arrive, but instead, his older brother, Joseph, came...and he brought four children with him. This light-hearted tender romance is the sequel to A Bride for Tom.

Review
It was another five star read from the author whose work I have come to like a lot. It was funny, light and entertaining. In this book we see that in response to Margaret's add for a husband a man with four children, all boys at that, came to town. It was a surprise Margaret didn't like at all but then she felt sorry for him and realised that there weren't any men lining up to propose her so this could work for both of them. Joseph needs a mother for his children and a wife to be his companion and he felt that Margaret could be that person. Hence they married. There are some twists and turns which make the story all the more enjoyable.
Although it was a fun read I would've liked it more if it weren't so short and there was more to the characters because I did have a little problem connecting with them. As I read A Bride for Tom first so I was introduced to Margaret but I would've loved to read a little more about Joseph as well. The children's involvement in the story was a good touch. All in all it was a great "quick" read but I will not recommend if you were looking for something substantial and with more insight into the characters' behaviour.