Skip to main content

Review: Starling's Weave by L.E. Sterling

  About the Book: Truth is more dangerous than fiction…in this exhilarating upper YA fantasy that will capture fans of  Shadow and Bone  and  Dark Water Daughter In ancient times, the Elder Wrights breathed their magic into the fabric of the seven seas. Now what was once an ocean of plenty is slowly becoming a sea of death, and the Talin—a race of hidden mages—are beginning to starve. And for the first time ever, one of their own has no magic. Ostracized by her own people, Nieve is certain that the old stories hide a missing piece of the puzzle. It’s just a matter of unlocking the secret. But when a stranger comes sailing into their harbor, Nieve’s world is suddenly blown wide open. Now she’s sailing on the seven seas—with a too-charming, swashbuckling pirate, a group of strange misfits, and a woman who claims to be one of the Elder Wrights. It’s like Nieve is living one of the stories she’s always loved…only now, she’s weaving a legend of her own. Except that the ol...

Cover Reveal + Excerpt:All the Skies I will not See: A Novella (A Touch of Cinnamon, Book 1.5) by Petra March


Synopsis:

It takes 7 seconds to crash.

It takes 3 seconds to fall in love.

It takes an infinite moment to let go.

David Medwin's life is fading away, and all he can think about is what it means to be alive.

An intense story about life, death and, most of all, love.

(Ages 17+)

-Release Date: June 9 2015

Pages: 33 (estimated)
Editions: Kindle, eBook

Publisher: Petra F. Bagnardi
Cover Artists: PFB and F. Chericoni
Prologue
Now.
My name is David Medwin. I'm twenty-one years old. Something bad happened to me.
These are the last, precious moments of my existence. So, while my body is still shrouded in merciful numbness, I let my mind and my soul awaken and wander.
I hold on to my memories and my regrets.
I drink in the world for the last time.
The sky is a dense, dark-blue blanket studded with bright stars. The air is heavy with the sweet scent of flowers and pine trees. The cheerful voices of the night creatures perform a pastoral symphony just for my soul.
No, that's not right. I'm not alone.
My friend Eagan is resting beside me. His eyelids flutter restlessly, speaking of an uneasy slumber. As I contemplate my best friend, terrible, unexpected anguish surges within my chest. It's a cold, frightening, strong sensation that forces my mind to focus on my body. My limbs feel strangely weightless, as if I were floating, and my skin were made of dust. But I'm flesh and bones, and my mind knows that the soft numbness is a temporary relief and the sudden sadness brimming inside of me mean something. Something painful.
I'm not alone. Eagan is with me, which means that something bad happened to him as well. I hope he's not hurt. I want him to live. I don't want to leave him.
I glance at Eagan once more. My friend's eyes blink open and, for an infinite moment, his blue gaze lingers upon my features not with familiar kindness, but with fear; then Eagan's lips part in a wordless cry.


About the Author:
Petra March studied Screenwriting and History of American Cinema at UCLA and NYU. Presently, Petra keeps traveling and dreaming through her novels. Her characters are deeply in love with Europe and the USA, just like Petra is.