Skip to main content

Review: Starling's Weave by L.E. Sterling

  About the Book: Truth is more dangerous than fiction…in this exhilarating upper YA fantasy that will capture fans of  Shadow and Bone  and  Dark Water Daughter In ancient times, the Elder Wrights breathed their magic into the fabric of the seven seas. Now what was once an ocean of plenty is slowly becoming a sea of death, and the Talin—a race of hidden mages—are beginning to starve. And for the first time ever, one of their own has no magic. Ostracized by her own people, Nieve is certain that the old stories hide a missing piece of the puzzle. It’s just a matter of unlocking the secret. But when a stranger comes sailing into their harbor, Nieve’s world is suddenly blown wide open. Now she’s sailing on the seven seas—with a too-charming, swashbuckling pirate, a group of strange misfits, and a woman who claims to be one of the Elder Wrights. It’s like Nieve is living one of the stories she’s always loved…only now, she’s weaving a legend of her own. Except that the ol...

Review: The First Rule of Hook-Ups by Nina Crespo

The First Rule of Hook-Ups
Synopsis
Someone once told me that there are worst things than being left at the altar. Well, not many, in my experience. That was six months ago, though, and my life has moved on. Heck, I have a new job lined up and I'm leaving town.

But, I can't deny that my love life kind of sucks.

That’s why I let my friends convince me to join them for Club Escapade’s Breakup Bash. And we might just be disillusioned enough to actually enjoy it. Last time we were here, it was for my bachelorette party. That night, I met one of the dancers – Raphael – and when he flirted with me, I almost forgot I was engaged. And there's a part of me that never forgot him.

Now, it seems my friends have wandered off and I’m thinking about calling it a night. Until the music begins and I see Raphael, my secret fantasy, on stage. And this time, I’m definitely not engaged...
Review
It's a really great read. I enjoyed the story, it's well-written, has well-developed characters and is quite fun to read. Alexa is moving away. After her fiance didn't show up at their wedding she has been having a rough time. So, it's time for a change. But before she leaves, her friends decide to have a girls night out. One thing leads to another and she ends hooking-up with a guy she has just met. Rafe owns the club and his business is all he is focused on right now. After a rough break up he doesn't need complications of a relationship in his life, especially, with some rich socialite who will end up breaking his heart. Good thing Alexa is on the same page but the chemistry between them is undeniable. Will they be able to keep things casual though? That's another question entirely.

Interesting, entertaining, and all in all a great story. It has the right amount of emotions, drama, romance, and fun. I'd definitely recommend it to romance fans.