Skip to main content

Review: Starling's Weave by L.E. Sterling

  About the Book: Truth is more dangerous than fiction…in this exhilarating upper YA fantasy that will capture fans of  Shadow and Bone  and  Dark Water Daughter In ancient times, the Elder Wrights breathed their magic into the fabric of the seven seas. Now what was once an ocean of plenty is slowly becoming a sea of death, and the Talin—a race of hidden mages—are beginning to starve. And for the first time ever, one of their own has no magic. Ostracized by her own people, Nieve is certain that the old stories hide a missing piece of the puzzle. It’s just a matter of unlocking the secret. But when a stranger comes sailing into their harbor, Nieve’s world is suddenly blown wide open. Now she’s sailing on the seven seas—with a too-charming, swashbuckling pirate, a group of strange misfits, and a woman who claims to be one of the Elder Wrights. It’s like Nieve is living one of the stories she’s always loved…only now, she’s weaving a legend of her own. Except that the ol...

Review: Requiem, Changing Times by R.J. Parker

Requiem, Changing Times

Synopsis

Clint and Corbin are having a weird day. Best friends for life, things are getting a little strange around their town, and at school. When they're followed by a strange man looking for Clint and later attacked by an imp, it makes sense to retreat to the safety of home. But when strangers from another world, Banks and O'Neil, arrive with their medley of allies, things get even weirder. Why are they here? What do they want? And what is The Requiem that everyone keeps talking about? As Clint and his friends and family are drawn deeper into a thrilling adventure, only one thing is for sure. They may not be getting out alive. And class with Mrs Christenson will seem like a walk in the park after this.

Review

This is an interesting story and I enjoyed reading it. It's a fantasy book in a series that revolves around two worlds. There are various supernatural creatures and it's written in a way that feels like a real adventure. That said, there are two things I struggled with; the pacing was a little slower than what I prefer and secondly, the dialogue. I do understand that it's written in a way to stay true to the accent of the character but I really struggled with this. I kept reading it wrong and only later realizing, 'Oh, that's the accent.' Unfortunately, that affected my experience quite a bit. Other than that, it's a great read. Especially, for fantasy lovers. I definitely recommend it and I think that the younger audience would love it more.